A Heritage of Faith: Honoring the Legacy of Our Lady
Since the first Jesuit Fathers arrived in 1848, St. Mary’s has been under the protection of Our Lady and a symbol of our Catholic Faith. Countless souls — priests, brothers, nuns and laypersons — have come to St. Mary’s in response to the call of Our Lord and to labor here under His continual providence. Today, we walk in the footsteps of those who came before us. Let us honor our Catholic heritage by answering the divine call of our Blessed Mother to build the Immaculata.
St. Mary’s Mission is founded by the Jesuits. The first cathedral is raised west of the Missouri River and east of the Rockies, and named the Church of the Immaculate Conception. The town of St. Mary’s is established in 1869
On the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, Father Shyne introduces a plan to build the Immaculata, a chapel dedicated to the new Jesuit seminary, separate from the parish in St. Mary's. 300 alumni of the College are invited to pledge $100. The cornerstone is laid in 1907. The Immaculata, a jewel of Gothic architecture, is dedicated in 1909.
St. Mary’s College celebrates its centenary. To date, 300 priests have been ordained in the Immaculata.